History of Scannano
Between Poggio del Monte, formerly known as Poggio di Sant'Andrea, and the Vallini plateau, beyond the Cardete, there is an ancient depression commonly known as the mouth of Scannano, from the name of the farm located here.
Il nome è di origine etrusca e indicava la proprietà terriera di un signore etrusco. Risale probabilmente all'inizio dell'età romana e stava ad indicare che in questa zona alcuni ricchi etruschi avevano potuto mantenere i loro possedimenti anche dopo la conquista romana, dato anche il fatto che Roma non mirava allo sterminio ma al dominio, meglio se seguito dall'assimilazione dei vinti. La prima attestazione dell'esistenza di Scannano si ha nel 1040: il conte Ranieri di Gualfredo dona alla chiesa di San Martino di Rigomagno casali e case situate in "Scannano".
The name Scannano then appears in numerous documents of the fourteenth century: deeds of exchanges and sales between the Piccolomini family, Sienese nobles who had reinvested and capitalized the surpluses in the Serre area, and the Sienese hospital which was forming the granary at the Serre.
In 1336 not a Sienese but a Serrigian, a certain Venturello di Guido delle Serre, donated land located in “Scannano” to the hospital. These were probably scattered vineyards and lands, given that the farms were all owned by the city.
The other piece of news dates back to 1386, when Caterina di Meo Tolomei sold many assets to Angelo de' Rossi for 500 florins, including the "podere di Scannano" with a part of working land and a farmhouse. The de' Rossi family had long been rooted in the Serre.
Around 1570-1590 Scannano belonged to the Richi family, which in all probability had it since 1525, when the owner of Scannano became the Sienese Piergirolamo di messer Rico. In 1600, the owner of Scannano was Bernardino Catani, whose family sold it to the Martini family, who still own it to this day.
Scannano is therefore not a farm of the Grancia, which must have owned plots of land even in its surroundings, so much so that it does not appear in the cabreo. To see the map in 1700, you have to go to the Catasto Leopoldino, in the State Archives of Siena. Its surface is indicated in 780 square arms, but it also includes a furnace attached to the building, which has since disappeared.